Well, here we are, I’ve been wanting to migrate my old site to something better, and after much deliberation and a lot of help from Karim, I’ve settled on WordPress! I will rebuild the important parts of the old site (DJ mixes, some foto albums, etc) in the coming days, so thanks for your patience!
Here it is, my new Tech/House mix is ready!
It’s a rather short affair, by me standards, at 1h46 minutes, but it’s banging and straight to the point. Fear not, the ever present wink at my musical roots are sprinkled throughout.
I truly hope y’all enjoy it because after giving it a good listen with detached ears (merci Tyna de m’avoir appris à faire ça!), I can honestly and modestly say I’m really proud of it!
You can stream it I Am Rhythm or “right-click/save as” on the image to download it.
P.S.: Yup, the cover image is the actual waveform of the first few beats of the mix
1 I Am Rhythm DJ T. Get Physical
2 Sinapsi Johnny D. & Steve B. SFR Recording
3 Ronson Reboot Cocoon Recordings
4 Incognito Radio Slave Rekids
5 Domesticated feat. Derrick Carter (Pezzner Mix) Home & Garden OM Records
6 Trains Over Broadway (Pezzner Extended Remix) Sleazy McQueen Chillin Music
7 Una Pena feat. Paulo Olarte (Solomun Dub) Stimming Diynamic
8 The Trouble (Lee Curtiss Remix) J-Mode & Jamie Jones Leftroom Records
9 The Kiss Stimming Diynamic
10 Pumpin the Cab (Barrio Dub) Anuk Andersen Mucho Groove
11 Touch My Horn Jesse Rose Dubsided
12 😉 Richard Bartz Kanzleramt
13 Traffic (New Wipers Mix) Brendon Moeller Third Ear
14 Traffic Jam Cobblestone Jazz K7 Records
15 Telemetric (Arto Mwambe’s ‘Guitar Down’ Remix/Monsieur Seb Edit) Telespazio Tiny Sticks
16 U Can Dance feat. Bryan Ferry DJ Hell International Deejay Gigolo Records
17 Soursweet (Petar Dundov Remix) Joel Mull Spectrum Recording UK
18 Artificial Amateurs Spin Science Elevation Recordings (Ireland)
19 Diamond Girl Richard Bartz Kompakt
Do not expect to hear your ordinary 80’s electro-pop fodder here. I had to make hard decisions in choosing which tracks to include on this mix, but they represent a very essential selection of artists and especially tracks that were key to my musical upbringing in that decade. Even as I write this I realize I forgot some, but since I obviously couldn’t include everyone of them, I guess it forecasts a volume 2!
I truly hope you enjoy this and give it time to grow on you, because at 47 tracks and 3 hours and 15 minutes long, it’s no processed cheese; this is the music equivalent of a room temperature Époisses!
You can stream it Monsieur Seb Turns 80 or “right-click/save as” on the image to download it.
P.S.: This mix is dedicated to Serge Brunelle and Daniel Rochette, Masters of the Old School, my mentors.
Monsieur Seb Turns 80 — Recorded Live May 2009
1. Time Zones. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. Dazzle Ships
2. Homer Hossa. Yello. Claro Que Si
3. Rue St-Denis. Carmel. The Drum is Everything
4. Rythm. Anna Domino. Rythm
5. African Reggae. Nina Hagen. Nina Hagen Band EP
6. I’ll Come Up with Something/Move. Keith LeBlanc. Major Malfunction
7. Awful Day. The Neon Judgement. Mafu Cage
8. Walking Through Heaven. Chris & Cosey. Songs of Love & Lust
9. Garlands. Cocteau Twins. Garlands
10. Close (To The Edit). Art of Noise. Beat Box / Close (To The Edit)
11. Do Right. Cabaret Voltaire. Micro-Phonies
12. Warsaw Ghetto. Nitzer Ebb. Warsaw Ghetto
13. Los Ninos del Parque. Liaisons Dangereuses. Los Ninos del Parque
14. Looking from a Hilltop (megamix). Section 25. Looking from a Hilltop
15. It’s More Fun to Compute. Kraftwerk. Computer World
16. Al-Naafyish (The Soul). Hashim. Al-Naafyish (The Soul)
17. Headhunter. Front 242. Front by Front
18. Love Like Blood. Killing Joke. Love Like Blood
19. Voices in the Night. Handful of Snowdrops. Dans l’Oeil de la Tempte
20. Killed by Poetry. Dr. Calculus. Designer Beatnik
21. Stereotypes/Stereotypes part 2. The Specials. More Specials
22. Our Darkness. Anne Clark. Our Darkness
23. Dead Eyes Opened. Severed Heads. Dead Eyes Opened
24. I Travel. Simple Minds. Empires and Dance
25. Quiet Life (7″ version). Japan. Quiet Life
26. Hurt (7″ version). New Order. Temptation/Hurt
27. Cookie Puss. Beastie Boys. Cooky Puss
28. London Calling. The Clash. London Calling
29. Logical Animals. Trisomie 21. Le repos des enfants heureux
30. Don’t Fall. The Chameleons. Script of the Bridge
31. What Difference Does It Make?. The Smiths. The Smiths
32. Never Stop (Discotheque). Echo & The Bunnymen. Never Stop
33. Happiness. Tones on Tail. Pop
34. Nove Heart. Spoons. Nova Heart
35. Alice. Sisters of Mercy. Alice
36. This Damn Nation. The Godfathers. Hit by Hit
37. Assimilate. Skinny Puppy. Bites
38. Stranger (Remix). Clan of Xymox. A Day/Stranger
39. Heaven is Waiting. The Danse Society. Heaven is Waiting
40. Spellbound. Siouxsie & The Banshees. Juju
41. Bela Lugosi’s Dead. Bauhaus. Bela Lugosi’s Dead
42. 2nd Thought. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. Oaganisation
43. the Brain Collapses. Psyche. Insomnia Theater
44. Der Mussolini. Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft. Der Mussolini
45. Love Is (Sweet Romance). Joolz. Love Is (Sweet Romance)
46. Katherine Clark. Kissing the Pink. Rare b-side
47. This is the Day. The The. Soul Mining
This is one of those funny occurences where a specific event gives its whole orientation to the final product.
What I mean is that upon hearing the first track on this mix (Deadbeat’s Deep Structure), it was clear to me, irresistibly so, that it would both open and give its title to my mix.
I just had to figure out whatever I would put after it! 🙂
I followed my feeling and ended up with a very interesting selection of tracks that travel smoothly from Deep House to Tech House and back, a very representative set, I guess you could say, as I’ve never been one to be attracted by playing a single genre or style in a set.
I don’t do this very often, but do check out the nearly 3 minutes-long mix that kicks in at 35:42. I’m really proud of that one!
You can stream it Deep Structures or “right-click/save as” on the image to download it.
- Deep Structure. Deadbeat. Wagon Repair
- Long Way Round. Leif. Thinner
- Handsome Machine (Manuel Tur Remix). The Timewriter. Plastic City
- Love Happens feat. Toyin Taylo (Roberto Rodriguez Long Version). Shahrokh Sound Of K. Compost
- Night Train. Solar & Poppcke. DIYnamic
- Zambomba. Ferenc. Kompakt
- I’ve Lost Control (Glenn Underground‘s Old School Re-Rub). Dj Pierre. International Deejay Gigolo Records
- The Tribute (Radio Slave Remix). Content (aka Jesse Rose). Front Room Recordings
- Momma’s Groove (Nomumbah‘s remix). Osunlade. D:vision Records
- Feelin’ House (Berli-Rican Main Remix). Brothers’ Vibe. Mixx Records
- Plastic Dreams (Audion Can’t Go Home Mix). Jaydee. R&S Records
- Pink Strand. Jokke Ilsøe. Nam Nam Records
- Skipper. Matthias Meyer & Patlac. liebe*detail spezial
- Supernova (Pezzner Dub Mix). Rocco. Freerange Records
- Almost Here – Part 1. Pezzner. Freerange Records
- Patience (Will Saul & Tam Cooper Remix). Two Armadillos. Four:twenty Recordings
- Magdalena. Einmusik & Stimming. DIYnamic
- House Of God (Martin Landsky Remix). D.H.S.. Poker Flat
- Subconscious Dark. Lars Behrenroth. Peppermint Jam
- The Hype (Marc Schneider & Ralf Schmidt Remix). The Armaberokay. Einmaleins Musik
- Mangroves To The Lagoons. Oliver Hacke. Trapez Ltd
- Sleepless. Billy Shane. Tronicsole
- Long Way Down. Tom Demac. Four:twenty Recordings
- Positive (Prontodeepmix). Yuzu. Manuscript Records
- Siamese Hearts (Roberto Rodriguez Remix). The Timewriter. Plastic City
- Alba Adriatica (Move D‘s The Smoke In Your Eyes Mix). Class 71. Four:twenty Recordings
- The World As We Want It. Apologist. Wave Music
- Everything I See (Hiro Remix). Sei A. Tronicsole
- Break Up. Sasse. Mood Music
Just a few months after the second iteration came the third of the series, Third Sun from the Rock.
This one’s birth was tougher.
I re-recorded it twice before I was entirely satisfied with it technically, while musically, I stretched out the boudaries of the genre even more, going as far as including tracks that didn’t readily fall within those boudaries.
Let’s put it this way: I was offering people to include them within those boundaries, if they were willing to stretch those boundaries alongside this DJ.
The presence of Swag’s edit of New Jersey Deep by Black Science Orchestra or Lullabies in the Dark’s Iridium are telling examples.
The jury is still out on whether this one or its predecessor is the better mix: they both have their strong points, and they both boogie!
Hope you enjoy!
- Don’t Turn Away (From My Love) – Lovelock
- Liberate – Force of Nature
- Stop – Casco presents B.W.H
- Di Solito – Popular Computer
- What The Fuck Do You Want With Us, Earthlings? – The Diaphanoids
- The Low Murderer Is Out At Night (AN-2 Remix) – Low Motion Disco
- L-ight – Force of Nature
- The Dancer – New Phunk Theory
- Kosmetisk – Magnus International
- Cosmic Wild Boar – LSB
- Radar Pulse Is Sent – Ichisan
- Grand Ideas – Lindstrøm
- Iridium – Lullabies in the Dark
- The Escape – Woolfy vs. Projections
- Otaku – Popular Computer
- Boulderdash – Division by Zero
- Cedar (Yamwho? Remix) – Spektrum
- Goblin City (Holy Ghost! Extended Disco Dub Mix) – Panthers
- Pom Pom (The Juan Maclean Backup Vox Mix) – Matthew Dear
- Pluto’s Retreat (Optimus Remix) – Brennan Green
- Riot On Planet 10 (Blitz Gramsci Remix) – Strangelets
- Psychedelic Symmetry – Free Disco
- New Jersey Deep (Swag Edit) – Black Science Orchestra
- I’m Ready – Kano
- Pendulo (Pete Herbert Edit) – Silver City
- Supernovac (Live At The Lanchonete Version) – I:Cube
- Resist – Plastique De Rêve feat. Radical Cheerleaders
I recorded my last set in my fourth — and as it turned out, last — year as a resident at Montreal’s nicest terrasse, and I think it’s a nice farewell mix with tracks that encompass everything I’ve played there over the years.
A couple of the mixes are not top notch, but those things can happen to the best of them when playing live and talking to guests at the same time! 😉
You can stream it I Am Rhythm or “right-click/save as” on the image to download it.
After recording volume one, the urge to make a second iteration of the Cosmix Series (it was clear to me that thios was going to be a series) rapidly became intense and Second Orbit was born a mere 6 months after its predecessor.
I find that this mix is more refined and focused, compared to the previous one, but that’s explained by the fact that I was still discovering and exploring the limits of the genre, six months earlier.
Here’ I’ve started to define what my Sound is going to be within this genre, as well as exploring and paying hommage to the roots, as witnessed by the inclusion of tracks by Kano and Alan Hackshaw.
As usual, you can stream it
cosmix2 or download it by right-clicking the image on the right.
Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix, 2nd Orbit Recorded Live June 14-15th 2008
- Grn Aventurine – Château Flight
- Suoivegan Mamadoo – Mari Boine vs. Mungolian Jetset
- Love Love Love (Aeroplane Mix) – Low Motion Disco
- Eurora (Blackbelt Andersen Remix) – Fjordfunk
- In The Silver White Box – In Flagranti
- Start Something – Morten Sorensen
- Elektric Evening – Elitechnique
- Stellar Way – Acos CoolKAs
- Some Signs Are Good – Diskjokke
- Meridian (Amberflame Edit) – Acos CoolKAs
- Breakdown – Toby Tobias
- Time To Let Go (Lindstrøm Remix) – Sally Shapiro
- Fox In The Box (Telespazio Remix) – UND
- Crush the Liberation – The Juan Maclean
- Boston Food Strangler (Diskjokke Re-Mix) – Ost & Kjex
- After Midnight (Original 12” version) – Ilija Rudman
- Tito’s Way (Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas Remix) – The Juan Maclean
- See And Know – Amberflame
- Step In (Faze Action Remix) – Roland Schwarz
- It’s A War (Serge Santiago Uk Re-Edit) – Kano
- Global Pillage – Ichisan
- Over The Sky (Reverso 68 Remix) – Ajello
- Happy House (Prince Language Dub) – The Juan Maclean
- The Speed Of Sound – Alan Hawkshaw
So… Tech House is all the rage, huh?
There’s not a genre I haven’t spun or can’t spin, always with me very own unique touch, cuz I hate doing things just like everybody else.
So that’s what I set out to do with this mix.
But, really, I also dig this genre, or at least I did when I recorded this mix.
Since then, it has started going in circles, in my opinion, much like a snake eating its own tail.
Some FX and signature sounds (like those sweeps of white noise every few bars) have become so cliché and widespread among the established, as well as up-and-coming, producers that it seems no one is doing Tech House because they genuinely like it anymore, but rather because that’s where the money is at the moment.
Hope you enjoy this mix, I think it is a very good portrait of that scene, at that time and, maybe, even since, plus it’s technically quite accomplished, if I may say so myself 😉
You can stream it House of Tech or “right-click/save as” on the image to download it.
It’s around 2005 that I discovered this new sound whose name (or names, as the case may be) I was still unaware of and which blew me away.
Slowly, I started researching, digging virtual crates and it took me a good year before I felt confident enough to try my hand at mixing the tenors of the genre.
As it happened, it was the first mix I recorded with my newly acquired Torq Xponent and the mix that made me decide I was doing away with the restriction imposed by the 75 minutes time limitation of the CD, which itself replaced the good old cassette tape, cutting out yet another 15 minutes from what used to be a good DJ mix.
From that point on, I have not recorded a mix shorter than 1h45 minutes, and all three Cosmix iterations are close to 2 hours and 30 minutes.
As usual, you can stream it
cosmix or download it by right-clicking the image on the right.
Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix — Recorded Live January 2nd 2008
- Kids with Sex Bits (Monsieur Seb’s mashup of Kids with Guns (Quiet Village Remix) [Gorillaz] and Dave’s Sex Bits (Quiet Village Remix) [Toby Tobias]
- Music (In My Mind) – Lindtrøm feat. Christabelle
- Mount Pleasant Lane (Spuns Manthrax) – Mudd
- Illusion (Lindstrøm Dub) – Imagination
- Let’s Practice – Lindstrøm feat. Solale
- Rex Drums – Christian Prommer’s DrumLesson
- Sentimental Breakdown – Doc L Junior
- Secret Pillow (Prins Thomas Remix) – Bermuda Triangle
- Clairevoyage (16th Rebels Of Mung Medley) – Dominique Leone
- Get Innocuous! (Soulwax Remix) – LCD Soundsystem
- Original Highway Delight (Mungolian Jet Set’s Miami Camp Mix) – LSB
- Jurassico (Prins Thomas Miks Del 1 & 2) – Nemesi
- Dragon (Shit Robot Remix) – Dondolo
- Stratus Energy (Special Disco mix) – Faze Action
- Another Station (Todd Terje Remix) – Lindstrøm
- All Flowers Must Fade – Daniel Wang
- Erodyne – Metro Area
- Erotic Discourse (2020 Livestyle Reversion) – Paul Woolford aka Bobby Peru
- Speak & Spell (Putsch 79 Remix) – Will Saul
- Nummer Fire En – Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas
As usual, you can stream it
Welcom or download it by right-clicking the image on the right.
Welcome to My House – Recorded Live, August 7th, 2007
- 25 Timer. Vildtand Feat. Trentemoller, Krede & Buda. Kickin Records
- Chapter One (Trentemøller Remix). Djosos Krost. Music for Dreams America
- 400 Years (Jimpster Remix). Bob Marley. Rock River
- Gemini. Kenny Hawkes & David Parr. Rekids
- Break Night. The Mole People. Strictly Rhythm
- Heater. Samim. Get Physical Music
- Slim Pickings (Ben Mono Remix #2). Stick Figures. Future Classic
- Make Insane (Milton Jackson Remix). Droido. Silver Network
- Les Violons ivres (Super Remix). Agoria. Different
- One Thousand Nights. Gregor Tresher. Great Stuff Recordings
- Childhood’s End (Kollektiv Turmstrasse Remix). Pele. Connaisseur Supérieur
- Atol (Hardfloor Remix). Gui Boratto. Harthouse Mannheim
- John. Phonique. Dessous Recordings
- Wench. Nacho Marco. Freerange Records
- Those Things (Simon Grey’s Phase II vocal Mix). Miguel Migs featuring Lisa Shaw. Salted Music
- Make Peace. Mr. V. Vega Records