Lately I’ve been going through every post in the DJ Mixes category to fix the download (and streaming, if necessary) links in an effort to ensure that everything is available easily and also to be as complete as I can about my output over the years. With this in mind, I created this post to take a census of all the mixes I recorded for my friend, the late Phil Larochelle’s Radio_Annexia channel on Mixcloud. Here they are in chronological order from 2010 to 2018.This show, which was reposted on July 29th, 2022, is currently 18th in the global Dark Ambient chart. This show was 26th in the global ambient chart. This show was 62nd in the global ambient chart. This show was 7th in the global experimental chart, 13th in the global eclectic chart, 27th in the global ambient chart and 34th in the global electronica chart. This show – an homage to my friend Jean-Seb Roux’s music under various aliases – was 8th in the global dub techno chart, 11th in the global minimal techno chart and 46th in the global ambient chart.
Well, the day came, I played and the day went.
It wasn’t as sunny as one might’ve hopped, therefore not as many people showed up, but it was, all in all, a great day!
As I said in the Q&A I answered on the Piknic Électronik website, all the different styles of electronic music are part of one big continuum, but our tendency to try and categorize everything makes it confusing.
Well, this set aims to prove just that with its wide ranging spectrum of sounds (and quite a lot of acid throughout).
Hope you enjoy!
Monsieur Seb Live @ Piknic Électronik, May 30th, 2010, 4 pm to 7 pm
- Stars (Rodion & Mammarella Mix) — Visti & Meyland
- Do It To The Max — 6th Borough Project
- Looking Up To You — The Revenge
- Stratus Quo — 6th Borough Project
- Hotz 4 U — The Revenge
- Night Dance (Max Essa Remix) — Pete Gooding & Chris Coco
- Pionir (Lusty Zanibar Remix) — Ichisan & Nakova
- Motorcycles — Tiago
- Beat-N-Path (Brennan Green’s Anxious Acid Version) — Cage & Aviary
- It’s More Fun To Compute (Busy P Remix) — Kraftwerk
- Highway 24 — Toby Tobias
- Highway 1 — Toby Tobias
- Filter 57 Mild — Ichisan & Nakova
- Big Bang Love (The Phenomenal Handclap Band Remix) — Gina & Tony
- Roller Coaster — Sebo K
- The Longest Day — Layo & Bushwacka!
- Love Harmonic (Carl Craig’s Soundscape Remix) — Mirko Loko
- More Than You Know — Midland & Ramadanman
- 99 (Tim Green Rmx) — Cassius
- Okay, Cool — Tbd
- Voodoo — Tigerskin
- Jam Hot (Tensnake Remix) — Johnny Dynell
- Fantasy (Faze Action Special Disco Edit) — Johnny Hammond
- Dance Me (Beatport Extended Bonus Version) — Riva Starr feat. Trim
- Feel Me — Tigerskin
- Under The Radar Feat. Fadila (Rozzo Mix) — Mike Shannon
- Where Were You Feat. Robert Owens (Kirk Degiorgio Vocal Remix) — Robert Owens, Tj Kong, Nuno Dos Santos
- Miracle Man (Lovebirds Instrumental Mix) — Jones, Blank
- Thermionic — Lazersonic
- Rolling Bass (Ooft Remix) — Vadim Yershov
- Rise Rhythm — Willie Graff & Tuccillo
- Moon Jocks N Prog Rocks (Todd Terje’s Even Stiv-En Dub Version) — Mungolian Jetset
- Surprise Bonus Track
This reissue will coincide with the 35th anniversary of their Autobahn album.
The reissue, however, will not include the band’s first three albums — Kraftwerk 1 (1970), Kraftwerk 2 (1972), Ralf und Florian (1973) —, focusing on the better known part of their catalog, from Autobahn (1974) to Tour de France (2003), and including The Mix (1993).
Leaving out the first albums and including The Mix is a decision I find questionnable, but hey, I don’t work for Mute, do I?
As for Tour de France, it’s so recent, does it really need a remastered version?
In any case, I don’t want to sound like a party-pooper, I’m really happy about this news!
Entitled 12345678, the reissue will be available in these various formats:
- 8 individual CDs presented in special slipcases featuring newly expanded artwork, including many previously unseen images all of which have been reproduced to the highest technical standards.
- CD Box Set containing 8 CDs in ‘mini-vinyl’ card wallet packaging, plus individual large format booklets.
- 8 individual heavyweight vinyl LPs with large format booklets.
- Digital downloads
As a mini-grieving for the non-inclusion of their first albums in the reissue, I propose you listen or discover this track:
Kraftwerk – Ruckzuck (from Kraftwerk 1, 1970)
Kraftwerk – Ruckzuck
Do not expect to hear your ordinary 80’s electro-pop fodder here. I had to make hard decisions in choosing which tracks to include on this mix, but they represent a very essential selection of artists and especially tracks that were key to my musical upbringing in that decade. Even as I write this I realize I forgot some, but since I obviously couldn’t include everyone of them, I guess it forecasts a volume 2!
I truly hope you enjoy this and give it time to grow on you, because at 47 tracks and 3 hours and 15 minutes long, it’s no processed cheese; this is the music equivalent of a room temperature Époisses!
P.S.: This mix is dedicated to Serge Brunelle and Daniel Rochette, Masters of the Old School, my mentors.
Monsieur Seb Turns 80 — Recorded Live May 2009
Title. Artist. Album
1. Time Zones. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. Dazzle Ships
2. Homer Hossa. Yello. Claro Que Si
3. Rue St-Denis. Carmel. The Drum is Everything
4. Rythm. Anna Domino. Rythm
5. African Reggae. Nina Hagen. Nina Hagen Band EP
6. I’ll Come Up with Something/Move. Keith LeBlanc. Major Malfunction
7. Awful Day. The Neon Judgement. Mafu Cage
8. Walking Through Heaven. Chris & Cosey. Songs of Love & Lust
9. Garlands. Cocteau Twins. Garlands
10. Close (To The Edit). Art of Noise. Beat Box / Close (To The Edit)
11. Do Right. Cabaret Voltaire. Micro-Phonies
12. Warsaw Ghetto. Nitzer Ebb. Warsaw Ghetto
13. Los Ninos del Parque. Liaisons Dangereuses. Los Ninos del Parque
14. Looking from a Hilltop (megamix). Section 25. Looking from a Hilltop
15. It’s More Fun to Compute. Kraftwerk. Computer World
16. Al-Naafyish (The Soul). Hashim. Al-Naafyish (The Soul)
17. Headhunter. Front 242. Front by Front
18. Love Like Blood. Killing Joke. Love Like Blood
19. Voices in the Night. Handful of Snowdrops. Dans l’Oeil de la Tempte
20. Killed by Poetry. Dr. Calculus. Designer Beatnik
21. Stereotypes/Stereotypes part 2. The Specials. More Specials
22. Our Darkness. Anne Clark. Our Darkness
23. Dead Eyes Opened. Severed Heads. Dead Eyes Opened
24. I Travel. Simple Minds. Empires and Dance
25. Quiet Life (7″ version). Japan. Quiet Life
26. Hurt (7″ version). New Order. Temptation/Hurt
27. Cookie Puss. Beastie Boys. Cooky Puss
28. London Calling. The Clash. London Calling
29. Logical Animals. Trisomie 21. Le repos des enfants heureux
30. Don’t Fall. The Chameleons. Script of the Bridge
31. What Difference Does It Make?. The Smiths. The Smiths
32. Never Stop (Discotheque). Echo & The Bunnymen. Never Stop
33. Happiness. Tones on Tail. Pop
34. Nova Heart. Spoons. Nova Heart
35. Alice. Sisters of Mercy. Alice
36. This Damn Nation. The Godfathers. Hit by Hit
37. Assimilate. Skinny Puppy. Bites
38. Stranger (Remix). Clan of Xymox. A Day/Stranger
39. Heaven is Waiting. The Danse Society. Heaven is Waiting
40. Spellbound. Siouxsie & The Banshees. Juju
41. Bela Lugosi’s Dead. Bauhaus. Bela Lugosi’s Dead
42. 2nd Thought. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. Oaganisation
43. The Brain Collapses. Psyche. Insomnia Theater
44. Der Mussolini. Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft. Der Mussolini
45. Love Is (Sweet Romance). Joolz. Love Is (Sweet Romance)
46. Katherine Clark. Kissing the Pink. Rare b-side
47. This is the Day. The The. Soul Mining