Yeah, been slacking on the upkeep of this blog… Here are a few mixes that came out since Atom & Eve that I uploaded directly to my Mixcloud page instead of here…
Tag Archives: Still Going
XMMX or My 10 of 2010
Yes, it’s that time of year again: time for the end-of-year lists.
I find that quite hard to do nowadays because the way we (or at least I) consume music has changed drastically over the last few years.
I barely buy CDs anymore, and not much more albums. Yes, there is a difference between the two, because of the possibility of buying individual tracks opened by the likes of iTunes, Beatport and all the other online music stores.
The impact on listmaking is that it becomes hard to draft one that encompasses albums.
So, the following list of my favourites of the past year merely reflects the productions I have come across that made an æsthetic impact on my passion for music.
Without further adue, here they are, in no particular order and with as much useful info as I can convey to you, dear readers.
Blue Steel (Still Going Remix) – Bot’Ox
Bot’Ox, is a French duo composed of Tekel’s Julien Briffaz and Benjamin Boguet, who you might know better as Cosmo Vitelli. Quite a pedigree! As for Still Going, a pair of producer from New York City, they’ve been banging out wicked tunes on DFA for a few years now. Combine all that and what you get on a major dancefloor bomb and you can even download it for free here!
Listen to Blue Steel (Still Going Remix) Blue Steel
The Professor – Dionigi
I wasn’t even going to include this on my list until just before I started writing this list. I’ve purchased that album and didn’t really give it a thourough listen until today, while I was researching my library for tracks to include on my next Cosmix. While going through all the tracks of the album, I realized that this album by Dionigi is one hell of an album that falls firmly in the Space Disco category while touching to many broader styles, from House to Breaks to Ambient. Yes, Italians can and still do produce good music, if you dig below the surface crap they are also capable of producing… 🙂 Special mention for ugliest album art of the year, or at the very least of this list!
Listen to No radio, No TV No radio, No TV
Empire Ants – Gorillaz
Yeah, I could’ve included the whole Plastic Beach album, but this track stands out so much from the rest — and moved me so much — that I chose to include only this one on the list. It also has the added benefit of introducing me to Little Dragon, a band I didn’t know before. I’m madly in love with the second movement of the track, when it gets more electro, and it’s a real shame that it’s so short! Now, a concert is the perfect setting to jam a bit with a song and extend it, but when they stopped over Montreal last October, the Gorillaz (with singer Yukimi Nagano) didn’t do anything of the sort… Shame, I tell you… But guess what! When they played on whatever TV show they played on in this video, they did extend it! See, and hear, for yourself!
Desilusion – Gotan Project
Tango 3.0 is by far my favourite album by the multinational trio. They don’t reinvent themselves, but they certainly take their concept to a new level here, a level that was hinted at on the second album, released in 2006. Why did I choose Desilusion? Well, because I think it’s the most apt ambassador to the rest of the album as a whole.
Listen to Desilusion Desilusion
She’s a Fast Persuader – Jamiroquai
I’ve been a total Jamiroquai fan from the get-go, no shame in admitting that! I’m always excited when they release a new album, and the latest was no exception to the rule. Jay Kay et al. don’t reinvent the wheel here, let alone themselves, but it’s still a great Jamiroquai album, better than the last one, in any case. I wouldn’t, however, go as far as including the whole album on my list, but this little gem of a track is definitely the stand-out track for me. Pure Jamiroquai at their best!
Listen to She’s a Fast Persuader She’s a Fast Persuader
Le Troublant Acid – KZA
Yotsukaido Nature is a Japanese producer who’s known as KZA as sometimes Force of Nature. This amazing little ditty is entirely based on a a loop from an obscure French single from the 70’s, Le troublant témoignage de Paul Martin, that he sped up and complemented with a drum track and TB-303 line. Nothing groundbreaking, production-wise, but it is SO efficient! Once you hear this track, it’ll be stuck in your head for days, trust me.
Listen to Le Troublant Acid Le troublant acid
Le shack à Chuck – Martin Léon
J’écris en anglais sur mon site perso car je m’adresse à un auditoire international, mais je trouvais plutôt étrange d’écrire en anglais au sujet de Martin Léon, un des très rares artistes québécois que je trouve vraiment intéressants. Il a une poésie, une façon de raconter des histoires plutôt que de banalement chanter l’amour, en plus d’un talent de compositeur et de réalisateur hors-pair. Je vous recommande chaudement son plus récent album, Les Atomes, comme tous les autres, d’ailleurs. And for the others, all I can say is if you don’t know Martin Léon, don’t let the language thing bug you and dig into his work: you won’t regret it!
Listen to Le shack à Chuck Le shack à Chuck
OFI – Model 500
Godfather of Techno Juan Atkins doesn’t release stuff that often, so in and of itself, a new release by him, espcially under his Model 500 moniker, is quite a happening. In this case, however, we’re not only dealing with a happening, but also one monster of a track. Agreed, the break is so-so, but’s it’s the only blemish on this track’s face. I’ll let it speak for itself…
Listen to OFI OFI
Long Distance – Onra
Definitely one of my favourite releases of 2010, Onra is a one-man-show from the mastermind of French producer Arnaud Bernard. Onra produces leftfield hip hop, or whatever you want to call it, but he does it with a flair that is unique and irresistible. I chose the title track from his 2010 album simply because my favourite track on it, My Comet, is actually from 2008… 🙂
Listen to Long Distance Long Distance
Transatlantic Landing Bay – Space Dimension Controller
I don’t know much about the band, other than the info I found on Zero Inch: “Belfast’s Jack Hamill started releasing ambient downbeat as RL/VL before assuming the name of Space Dimension Controller. Combining elements of electro-funk and deep techno in his tracks, Space Dimension Controller has been one of the shooting stars of 2010, performing at Barcelona’s prestigious Sónar festival and recently signing to seminal imprint R&S Records”. But don’t believe the hype and just trust me when I say that here’s a name you should memorize, because I’m predicting his ascencion is only begining. As a matter of fact, his remix of the aforementionned OFI by Model 500 is coming out in January. Now that’s somehting I can’t wait to hear!
Listen to Transatlantic Landing Bay Transatlantic Landing Bay
Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider Go!!! (Lulu Rouge Feat. Abdullah S Remix) – Trentemøller || I’m not Dubstep’s best customer, but I like this one a lot, even though I’ll admit it’s got nothing very special about it. Silver
I Know You’re Mine – Roberto Rodriguez || Can’t get enough of Rodriguez’ productions! Mine
State Trooper (Trentemøller Unofficial Mix) – Bruce Springsteen || The only reason this didn’t make my list is that it did not come out in 2010, even though I only heard of it eraly in the year. Top work! Trooper
The Logical Song – Rodion || An electropop cover of the Supertramp classic? Gotta love it! Logical
Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix vol. 7: Beyond the Rings of Saturn
I’ve been meaning to get this one out for a little while now, but there have been many trials and false starts, and never was I satisfied with the direction it was going in…
As many of my latest mixes, this one came out quite rapidly (about 48 hours: blame that on the fact that I’m jobless at the moment!), albeit not without intense labour.
This mix, which I believe is one of the last of it’s dynasty, is quite a monster, at 2 hours and 47 minutes, comprising 30 tracks that range from 100 bpm to 130 bpm.
“Last of it’s dynasty?”, I hear you say…
Like I mentionned in my post about my recent mix, Summer Breeze, there seems to be a serious convergence between so-called slo-mo house and cosmic disco and, in my mind at least, that means that the Cosmix series will soon become obsolete, giving way to the evolutionnary movement that gave it birth…
Who knows what it’ll be called next, but I’ll definitely be on it’s trail for you… 😉
By the way, here’s the story behind the picture and title of this mix:
“With giant Saturn hanging in the blackness and sheltering Cassini from the sun’s blinding glare, the spacecraft viewed the rings as never before, revealing previously unknown faint rings and even glimpsing its home world.”
The whole story (and full rez downloadable pic) can be found here.
You can stream or download it here and your donations are welcome to help me pay for the file hosting!
Hope you enjoy!
Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix vol. 7: Beyond the Rings of Saturn
- Birdshell (6th Borough Project Shell Toe Mix) – Craig Bratley
- Elevators – Ciscoe
- Neu Division – Beatfanatic
- Zink Loyd – Beatfanatic
- My Dream Queen – Ralph Myerz
- She Walks (Pete Herbert Remix) – Apiento & Co.
- Escape from New York – Filipsson & Ulysses
- White Shoes Blue Dreams (Marbella Mix)- Max Essa
- Scotch Hop – Burnt Island Casual
- Unknown Pleasures (Irregular Disco Workers Remix) – Beatfanatic
- The Edge – Chamboché
- Garden of Vargulf (Tornado Wallace Remix) – Loin Brothers
- Heaven (Muzzle Flash Remix) – Kasper Bjorke
- Zuckerhut (John Talabot Remix) – Permanent Vacation
- In Search of Ecto One – Ooft!
- Music – The Revenge
- I Want You for Myself (Keep Schtum Re-Edit) – George Duke
- Turning Loose (Ron Basejam Remix) – Bonar Bradberry
- Robot Go Disco – Mike Monday
- My Enemy – Aeroplane
- Loveshine (Downtown Party Network Remix) – Peder G & Dana Bergquist
- Disco Momento – Toomy Disco
- Blue Steel (Still Going Remix) – Bot’ox
- Incorrigible (Liv Spencer & DJ Spun Remix) – James Chance & The Contortions
- Space Disco – Only Child
- My Brother – Nebraska
- Discocracy – Bottin
- Nightmoves – Lost Valentinos
- Garden of Vargulf (Acid Re-Rub) – Loin Brothers
- Ayisha Abyss (Lindstrøm Remix) – Serena Maneesh
Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix vol. 5: Universal Boogie
Yes yes yes, boys and girls, it is finally here!
I was itching and scratching to get a new Cosmix iteration out since my set at Picnik Electronik (which was basically Cosmix vol. 3.5) and the ensuing Cosmix vol. 4, last August.
It took a while to put it together and find its groove — I do put a lot of thought and research into that series — but what a groove it found for itself!
This, my dear friends, is definitely the grooviest of the Cosmix series, so far!
You are about to download and listen a massive 2 hours and 38 minutes of tasty bits, the danciest, most straightforward of the lot, but then again, maybe not…
All together, the first three tracks alone take up 35 minutes of the total runtime and about a very groovy hour later, there’s a nice psychedelic break so you can light up a fat spliff before you start dancing again and get worked up for that one-two-three, jab-body blow-uppercut finale that’ll leave you dehydrated and, hopefully, ecstatic. I DO strongly recommend that you listen to this mix in one sitting to fully appreciate it, otherwise the overall groove I was talking about before kinda gets lost…
Personnally, I’ll be bold and daring and say it IS flat out, no competition, my favourite mix in the Cosmix series so far.
You can stream or download it and and your donations are welcome to help me pay for the file hosting!
- It’s All Over Now Except for One Last Bit – Dominique Leone (Unreleased)
- Gimme (Kango’s Autostrada Dei Laghi Mix) – Headman & Dieter Meier
- Venus – Roberto Rodriguez
- Untitled Love (Instrumental Mix) – Still Going
- The Way You Move (Greg Wilson Version) – Social Disco Club & Maia
- PARTY★NIGHT – ID:69
- Bumpin’ – Phreek Plus One
- This Feeling – Lovebirds
- Baby Can’t Stop – Lindstrom & Christabelle
- Jetstream (Lindstrom Remix) – Doves
- You’ll Disappear (Ilya Santana Remix) – The Phenomenal Handclap Band
- Space Summer (Plastique De Reve Sweet Remix) – Ludan Dross
- Hot on the Heels of Love – Throbbing Gristle
- 45:33 (Theo Parrish’s Space Cadet Remix) – LCD Soundsystem
- Looking For What – Lindstrom & Christabelle
- A Brag Mount – In Flagranti
- Cold Coke feat. Sauveur Mallia – Pierre-Alain Dahan, Slim Pezin, Marc Chantereau, Georges Rodi, Jean Pierre Sabar
- Heart Break Dancing – Downtown Party Network
- Far Beneath London – Padded Cell
- The Pretender (Holy Ghost Remix) – Datarock
- Black Flag (Emperor Machine Remix) – Duchess Says
- Horns Of Innocence (Xavier Naudascher Remix) – Rebotini
Two little tracklist notes:
• The very first track was kindly offered by the artist even though it is still unreleased, and I have promised Dominique to help him get this track signed, so if you have any interest in releasing it or know someone who might, please contact me at email@example.com.
• As you’ve noticed, I take as little credit as possible when recording a mix, after all, I do them to introduce you to artists you might not know. Now, you’ll also notice that one track in the playlist has no links. The thing is, with that one, I have no idea how it got in my iTunes library. I subscribe to dozens of music blogs and such, and when I tried finding a relevant link for this track, I came up basically empty handed. If you have something to suggest, please do!
Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix, volume IV: Welcome to Planet Khizmyazz
Yes, boys and girls, bipeds, quadrupeds and dodecapeds!
The new installment of the Cosmix series has landed!
It has been gestating since… well, since I released the previous installment!
Get your space helmets on, cadets, because I pulled all the stops on this one: it doesn’t attempt to please anyone or anything but the most weirdly disco neuron hiding in your brain — hence the title, and if you don’t get it right away, just repeat the name of the planet out loud a few times :p
At just under two hours, it’s the shortest mix in the series so far.
Lots of psychedelic fun is included, I strongly suggest… Heck no! I strongly RECOMMEND, that you don’t listen to this while straight.
I sincerely hope you enjoy, and if you don’t, try again: it’ll grow on you!
You can stream or download the mix and and your donations are welcome to help me pay for the file hosting!
Oh! And that gorgeous planet that’s the album art? It’s a soap bubble!
- Buzz In (Optimo Remix) – Boris
- Double Fisted (Prins Thomas Disko Miks) – Scotty Coats & Wes the Mes
- Neeve – Projections & Woolfy
- Is Sorrow (Black Machine’s Lucifer Rising Dub) – Black Devil Disco Club
- Sparkling Stars – Petar Dundov
- Vuelo – Skatebard
- The Simple Life – The Juan MacLean
- Goin’ Underground (Extended version) – Partners in Crime
- Don’t Sleep – Zepp001
- They Prefer The Disco – The Bionics
- Dancing In Outer Space (The Revenge Rework 2) – Atmosfear
- The Deep End (Holy Ghost! Day School Dub Mix) – Curses!
- Spaghetti Circus – Still Going
- Love Don’t Dance Here Anymore – Tiga
- Space People – S. Mallia
- Red Heart (Vlad Nayward Edit) – Tele Music
- exp3 (aka Two Sequencers Are Better Than One) – John Daly
- Mancry (Justus Kohncke’s Epic Diskokraut Club Mix) – Freeland