Like countless DJs, I’ve taken to livestreaming since the confinement measures came down, and I will archive those sets on Mixcloud. Here they are, so far… Enjoy!
Well, I finally decided to upload the entire Cosmix series to Mixcloud today, and I figured I’d create a post here to list all the links in order to facilitate finding them, since Mixcloud only shows uploads in the order they were uploaded. The series started in 2008 and is now 15 mixes deep and would run approximately 36 hours if you played all of them back to back.
Here you go!
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 1: 3, 2, 1, Liftoff! (Jan. 2, 2008)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 2: Second Orbit (June 14, 2008)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 3: Third Sun From The Rock (Nov. 22, 2008)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 3.5: Piknic Cosmix, August 16, 2009
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 4: Welcome To Planet Khizmyazz (Aug. 27, 2009)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 5: Universal Boogie (Jan. 11, 2010)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix vol. 6: Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Ultraworld (March 11, 2010)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 7: Beyond The Rings Of Saturn (Oct 23, 2010)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 7.5: The Call Of CCCLTD (Dec. 9, 2010)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 8: In Space, Everyone Can See You Boogie (Jan. 10, 2011)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 8: Deleted Scenes (Jan. 10, 2011)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 9: Lysergic Emanations From Outer Space (June 28, 2011)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 10: Atom & Eve (March 26, 2013)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 11: No Place Like Home (Nov. 6, 2016)
- Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix Volume 12: Event Horizon (Nov. 10, 2016)
New mix I recorded for a weekend with friends at the cottage! It has its own title because it cannot fit in any of my ongoing series, although it is predominantly House (i.e. almost a House Music for Grown-Ups iteration), but with some funk, pop, dub and even a touch of drum ‘n’ bass in the mix! Hope you enjoy as much as I did making it!
So… It had been a quite a while since I recorded a mix, in part by lack of time and inspiration – although I did start working on an Acid House mix last summer, which is still in the plans – and in part because I upgraded my computer and, unbeknownst to me, rendered my old Traktor Kontrol S4 obsolete because it was no longer compatible with the Mac OS version of the new computer. Enter, a few months later (now), the brand new Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3, and a new iteration of the Loungin’ series which I’d been working on in parallel with the other one.
It is, as far as I can tell, the longest one so far at just shy of 2 hours and 30 minutes and, I must say, definitely my favourite. It’s got funk, boogie, hip-hop, jazz, dub, pop, but, mostly, two exclusive tracks from the upcoming Bran Van 3000 album (no release date yet) graciously offered by BV3K collaborator/studio engineer/producer and my friend Jean-Michel Lapointe. Thanks man!
Also of note in this mix is the fact that I’ve featured at least 11 tracks by local artists, which is relatively rare, including one in French, also relatively rare, by Les Louanges, and the aforementioned Bran Van 3000, Megative (who are kinda local, see below) Men I Trust, The Kount, and High Klassified. They are, to me, exquisite examples of the fact that Québec isn’t just about “la chanson” in it’s most boring expression. Apart from our thriving hip-hop scene, we also produce excellent world-class pop that manages to be accessible without being cheesy – or “quétaine” as we say.
There are a couple of cover versions that I’m really fond of: a new version of Georges Kranz‘s Din Daa Daa (Trommeltanz) (track 3 on the mix, called Drum Jawn, by Underdog Edits), and a version of The The‘s Giant by DJ Food with Matt “The The” Johnson himself on vocals (the closing track of this mix).
You’ll also hear two tracks by one of my favouritest new band, Megative, a new project featuring Me Mom & Morgentaler’s Gus Van Go and The Stills’ Tim Fletcher. They do ska that will be right up the alley of anyone who was ever been a fan of The Specials and the whole 2nd Generation of ska circa Two Tone Records. I’ve included Beneath the Sun and More Time, but I warmly encourage you to check out the whole album, because it’s really worth it.
And what about that first track, the return in full form of none other than Chaka Khan after an absence of more than 10 years!
I’d be remiss if I also didn’t mention the presence of an old gem that my friend Jimmy Beaulieu reminded me of this week in one of his own mixes for Radio Annexia, and I’m talking about Thomas Dolby‘s Budapest by Blimp. I did ask Jimmy if it was OK to use it on this mix just a few days after his own came out, and he graciously (as is his custom) said that it was fine because such a great song deserves to be widely known. It is indeed one of Dolby’s masterpieces and probably not one of his best known songs. I hadn’t heard it probably since it came out in 1988, and one of the main reasons for that is that I wasn’t equipped to fully appreciate such finely crafted pop music back then, just being out of my teens and too involved in the underground scene to admit some pop might even be (gasp!) good…
I also want to point out the presence of a magnificent new release by Donny McCaslin who, for those who don’t know, was the bandleader responsible for the music behind David Bowie‘s final album, Blackstar. Nothing to add there; just listen.
You can download the mix here.
- Like Sugar (Extended Mix) _ Chaka Khan
- Neptune Games _ Bybo Funk
- Drum Jawn _ Underdog Edits
- Beneath The Sun _ Megative
- Ascension Thyme _ Bran Van 3000
- Solid _ Another Channel
- Silver Light feat. Jinadu _ Fred Everything
- Xingu _ Al Dobson Jr.
- Amethyst feat. Nubya Garcia _ Harvey Sutherland
- Dirty High _ String Theory
- Beat 54 (All Good Now) _ Jungle
- Pitou _ Les Louanges
- Tadow _ FKJ
- Out In Myself featt. Emmanuelle _ Men I Trust
- Feels Like Summer _ Childish Gambino
- L’Oeillet Noir _ Antoine Korgut
- Space Is The Place _ Men I Trust
- Fifth Wind _ Jex Opolis
- Futureland _ The Kount
- Exist _ Promnite
- On Your Side _ Fitzzgerald
- Bar Asfalt _ Bugge Wesseltoft & Prins Thomas
- Born In A Rolling Barrel _ Will Saul Presents CLOSE feat. Tikiman, October & Appleblim
- Girls _ Bran Van 3000
- More Time _ Megative
- Close (Midnight Version Monsieur Seb Edit) _ Roosevelt
- Come Over feat. Leaf _ High Klassified
- Curious Fish feat. Emmanuelle _ Men I Trust
- Tried _ BADBADNOTGOOD & Little Dragon
- Eye of the Beholder _ Donny McCaslin
- Budapest By Blimp _ Thomas Dolby
- Giant feat. Matt Johnson _ DJ Food
Hadn’t realized the last iteration of this series was already 2 years old!
Here’s the newest edition which I had a lot of fun researching, prepping, recording and post-proding!
Light and bouncy throughout with a increasingly darker finish, but never losing focus!
Hope you enjoy!
Favourite, repost and all that merry stuff so that this little gem charts high!
This is the D/L link
This is the tracklist
- Welcome Speech_Crackazat
- Simply Yes_Shur-i-kan
- Jump Into (Paxton Fettel remix)_Uffe
- It’s More Fun To Compute_Joey Negro
- I Wanna Fly_FAM Disco & Phillip Ramirez
- Clammy Customer_Archie Pelago
- Kiwis, Apples & Limes (Discodromo Spiritual Remix)_Robot Needs Oil
- Open House_Moullinex feat. Tee Flowers
- Botanico_Jex Opolis
- High Times_Marcus Marr
- Coffee Time_Crackazat
- The Phoenix Part 2_Marquis Hawkes
- White Song_Jacme
- Go Ahead_St-Denis
- Camino De La Luna_Joakim
- The Sound_Ron & Manoo
- Die Dimension_Perel
- Axe Nord-Sud_TÉNÈBRE
Here’s this year’s edition of the Summer Breeze series that almost was with the LoFiBreeze mix released earlier this summer! Enjoy unabashedly loud and like no one’s watching! I’m really happy with this one! Favourite, repost and share, let’s take this one to the top of the Mixcloud charts!!!
The download link is here!
1. It’s My Life (Sean’s 6am Dub) _ Sean McCabe ft. Cinnamon Brown
2. Somethin’ Wit Jazz (Jimpster Remix — Luke Solomon’s Body Edit ft. James Duncan) _ Mr. V
3. The Sweetest Meditation feat. Mara TK (Club Mix) _ Lord Echo
4. Unconditional _ Terrence Parker
5. Psychout _ Carlo Lio
6. Woke _ Tiga
7. Electronic Frequencies _ Ben & Sadar
8. When I Luv (Kenny Dope Remix) _ Mike City feat. Faith Evans
9. All You Need _ Austins Groove
10. Deep Inside _ Bart Gori
11. The Basement Is Burning _ Marquis Hawkes
12. Esperanza (David Morales Red Zone Mix) _ Luciano & David Morales
13. No Fool _ Tensnake
14. La blessure (Fred Everything Remix) _ Anonimaly
15. Har Zion 110 (Aril Brikha Remix) _ Deep’a & Biri
16. I Never Thought I’d See The Day (Kiko Navarro Rework) _ Sade
17. Song For A Friend _ Byron The Aquarius & Cropper
18. Abraka _ Danvers
19. Easy Easy _ Marcel Lune
20. Everything Happens For A Reason (Beatless Version) _ Kiko Navarro feat. Isis “Apache” Montero
So this is it: 2017 is a year where my traditional summer season mix will be a mash-up of two series — Summer Breeze and House Music for Grown-Ups. The reason is quite simple: I meant it to be a Summer Breeze iteration, but it’s a mix of Lo-Fi House tracks which aren’t quite sunny ditties, most of the time.
I’ve only started exploring the genre, which in part explains the high reoccurrence of some bands in the tracklist, but I quite enjoy it and I hope you will too!
Stream from Mixcloud above or download by clicking here.
TRP — Stash
TRP — That Old Feeling
TRP — M7
TRP — The Future
Lone — Chroma
ÐNΛonÐNΛ — Tool #4
Sonderr — Rush Hour
Daze — Compton
Grant — Feeling (Vocal Mix)
LK — Getting Ready
No Moon — Everything Has A Return
Lone — Crush Mood
DJ Heure — Sunny Jam
LK — Lunar
LK — Party People
Lone — From A Past Life
Ross From Friends — In An Emergency
Beesmunt Soundsystem — First Timer (Mosey Remix)
Grant — Frame Of Mind
Mood J — The Arps
Mavora — Tension
Sonderr — Overboard
No Moon — Is it Vibey Is It Yolo
No Moon — Space Station Dub
No Moon — I Left My Dial In Pirovac (Pt.1)
No Moon — I Left My Dial In Pirovac (Pt.2)
This edition was curated and mixed over the last two weeks mainly through digging around on Bandcamp, and specifically with spring in mind; melodic, positive, groovy…
It’s a Loungin’ mix that makes you wanna boogie!
At 32 tracks deep, I believe it’s also my first “circular” mix, i.e. that starts and ends with the same song — so you can play it on repeat without noticing!
Some of my favourite discoveries while perusing to build this tracklist definitely were Kiko Navarro‘s new album, the drum and synth duo SOCCER96 (Wow!), A Band Called Flash (Wow!), and Wayne Snow. I linked every artist to the album where that given track is taken from and I really encourage you to encourage those artists!
1. Choir and Crickets by Jeff Russo
2. My Love Turns To Liquid by Dream 2 Science
3. Soñando Contigo (feat. Concha Buika) by Kiko Navarro
4. You Glow by The Kount
5. Want To Be by Oddisee
6. Lowrider by Yussef Kamaal
7. Feels Right by SOCCER96
8. Eh (Jazly Remix) by fhin
9. My Favourite Merchant (feat. Byron The Aquarius) by Jesse Futerman
10. Witness (feat. Benoît Pioulard) by Lusine
11. Remembrance by Yussef Kamaal
12. Lantern Dusts by Somerville & Wilson
13. Hun by Jolly Mare
14 Volans by A Band Called Flash
15. White Noise (Shahrokh Dini Remix) by Bar
16. The Anthem by Wu15
17. Partido Novo by Azymuth
18. A Sereia by Democustico
19. E Mulher (Ashley Beedle ‘Afrikan On Marz’ Remix) by Azymuth
20. A Bossa Nova É Foda by Caetano Veloso
21. Canopée by Polo & Pan
22. Summer Fruits by Swindle
23. A Day’s Reality (Dedication Instrumental) by Felix Dickinson feat. Robert Owens
24. Let It Bloom (Domu House Remix) by Ashley Thomas
25. Prepad by Boban Petrovic
26. Gem (Hidden Spheres Remix) by Jesse Futerman
27. Live Notes by Don Froth
28. Change by Dan Kye
29. Freedom R.I.P. by Wayne Snow
30. Century (feat. Banton) by Henry Wu
31. Slow Motion by Lusine
32. Choir and Crickets by Jeff Russo
OK, so two Cosmixes in less than a week after I even wrote that the series and the genre were dying…?
Well, here’s the story of how those two mixes came to be.
Out of frustration, I threw all the tracks in each playlist into a single one and decided to start from there, not knowing what would come out of it.
What came out of it was Cosm11x, but a member of the Cosmix family almost out of necessity as it was on the cusp of being a HM4GU issue were it not, like I wrote, for “too many Disco/Boogie/just-not-House-Music joints in the mix”. I’m still happy with the result, but…
Once that one was done, I proceeded to reclassify every track I hadn’t used back in separate folders — Loungin, House Music 4 Grown-Ups, Cosmix — and, lo and behold, what ended back in the Cosmix folder was super inspiring, so I started planning Cosmix 12, and it merely took a couple of days from planning to recording.
This one is definitely in the Top 3 of my favourite iterations of this soon to be decade-old series of mixes.
No. Seriously. Check it out!
1. An Outro (To Andromeda) _ 2 Billion Beats
2. Mordor Disko _ Jonathan Kusuma
3. Blind (Sascha Braemer Remix) _ Dayne S
4. Feel Acid _ Blakkat
5. Disturbancy (Petar Dundov Remix) _ Christopher Kah
6. May 28th _ Simone Gatto
7. Vocoders Revenge _ Tom Demac
8. All Over Exposure _ 2 Billion Beats
9. Nattergal _ Diskobeistet
10. Foehn _ Lindstrøm
11. Floating on a Salt Lake _ Roland Tings
12. Quintessential Trips To Bergen _ Mungolian Jetset
13. Trust Me (Original Mix) _ Robyn, Mr. Tophat
14. F _ Prins Thomas
15. A New Kind of Superhero (Leon Sweet Klaw Mix) _ Flash Atkins feat. Aggie Frost
16. Is There No End (New Jackson Remix) _ Shit Robot
17. Dystopian (Fabrizio Mammarella Remix) _ Henry Saiz
18. Planet E (Danny Daze Remix) _ Tiga
19. The Supplier (Toby Tobias Fuzzydub Mix) _ Chocky
20. Valley Of Paradise (Greg Wilson Remix) _ Psychemagik
21. The Waves (Psychemagik Remix) _ Villagers
22. Taste The Groove (Hot Toddy remix) _ Joey Negro & The Sunburst Band
23. Caoutchouc _ Rubber Band
24. Starstruck (Dub Mix) _ Discotron
25. Melbs _ Neil Diablo
26. A Place Called Space _ The Juan Maclean