I’ve been meaning to do such a mix for many, many years now, and here it is, finally.
“It” is a mix of some of my favourite tracks — a very personal and by no means encyclopedic selection — from the mythical mancunian Deep House record label, Paper Recordings, my all-time favouritest record label, even today.
Now, I entitled this post “…part one” because while I was preparing this mix, I realized that although we mostly remember the Paper catalog because of its classic dancefloor burners, there’s just as much great downtempo tracks to be remembered and, because of this fact, I decided to record two mixes, the first of which I offer to you here.
Rest assured: you won’t have to wait years for the downtempo installment!
I truly hope you will enjoy this, because all these tracks have a special meaning to me and, if you didn’t know of Paper Recordings, I hope you will enjoy discovering this truly amazing record label.
P.S.: I would like to dedicate this mix to my dear friends Anne-Caroline, Nicolas and Karim, because of all the people I think of fondly when I hear these songs, these three are the ones I associate the most with my love of Paper Recordings.
You can stream it above or download by clicking here.
As always, your donations are welcome to help me pay for the file hosting! 😉
A Tribute to Paper Recordings, part one
- There’s A Better Place – Crazy Penis (PAPCD016)
- Viva Blue (Martin Venetjoki’s De-Pressed & remastered mix) – Keyboy (PAPD02)
- Finbiff Patrol – Those Norwegians (PAP011)
- Origami – Wastepaper (PAP004)
- The Dancer – New Phunk Theory (PAP006)
- Do Un Goodur’ (Tom Middleton’s Cosmos Mix) – Crazy Penis (PAP044)
- The Way We Swing – Crazy Penis (PAP013)
- The Book (Hardback Dub) – Salt City Orchestra (PAP001)
- Downtime – Paper Music (PAP002)
- I Feel Music – Harlem Zip Code (PAP072)
- Bustabubble – Shaboom (PAP005)
- Honey Falls – New Phunk Theory (PAP021)
- Don’t Fuck with My Shit (Da Floor Mix) – Dirty Jesus (PAP014)
- Bessie’s Kurbdog Remix / Bessie’s Reprise – Shaboom (PAP012)
- Lara’s Theme – Streetlife Originals (PAP022)
- Nu Odyssey – Departure Lounge (PAP017)
- Fatdansrubadub – Salt City Orchestra (PAP015)
- Theme From Salt City Orchestra – Salt City Orchestra (PAP015)
- The Big Thang – Hot Toddy (PAPCD008)
Yesterday’s post concerning the Plug track provoked a few reactions from friends, notably one from Joelle, who asked me for more tracks from that era.
My initial reaction was “Well, I have to sit down and make an effort to remember all the tracks we loved back then”, but then I remembered I have a quick solution at hand:
a mix recorded live (on a cassette tape, with vinyls!) on Easter Sunday 1998, during my last residency in Quebec City at club Sinclair.
What a great night it was!
This mix exists only as a RealAudio file, sadly, but the quality is still acceptable and I think the mix is pretty damn good too!
It was recorded during the first part of the evening, between 10:30pm and midnight, approximately, so I guess you can call it the warm-up part of the night, but if I remember well, the dancefloor was gtting pretty packed even at about the halfway point of this mix.
- On Da Rocks – Thomas Bangalter
- Holiday On Ice – Le Knight Club
- Love In (Fucking Music 4 Love Time Mix) – Sexy Cool
- Pancake Jaz – Glenn Underground
- Runaway (Spanish Underground Mix) – Nuyorican Soul
- Honey Falls – New Phunk Theory
- Love Revolution (Mood II Swing Remix 1) – Mysterious People
- Music In My Mind (Deep Dish El Nino Mix) – Adam F
- Sunny Side – Couch Potatoes
- For All Those Times – Harrison Crump
- Break of Dawn – Paul Hester
- The Book (Attack of the Crab Monsters Mix) – Salt City Orchestra
- Sangue De Beirona (Remix de François K.) – Cesaria Evora
- Faithfull (Prassay Mix) – Fantom
Just a few months after the second iteration came the third of the series, Third Sun from the Rock.
This one’s birth was tougher.
I re-recorded it twice before I was entirely satisfied with it technically, while musically, I stretched out the boudaries of the genre even more, going as far as including tracks that didn’t readily fall within those boudaries.
Let’s put it this way: I was offering people to include them within those boundaries, if they were willing to stretch those boundaries alongside this DJ.
The presence of Swag’s edit of New Jersey Deep by Black Science Orchestra or Lullabies in the Dark’s Iridium are telling examples.
The jury is still out on whether this one or its predecessor is the better mix: they both have their strong points, and they both boogie!
Hope you enjoy!
- Don’t Turn Away (From My Love) – Lovelock
- Liberate – Force of Nature
- Stop – Casco presents B.W.H
- Di Solito – Popular Computer
- What The Fuck Do You Want With Us, Earthlings? – The Diaphanoids
- The Low Murderer Is Out At Night (AN-2 Remix) – Low Motion Disco
- L-ight – Force of Nature
- The Dancer – New Phunk Theory
- Kosmetisk – Magnus International
- Cosmic Wild Boar – LSB
- Radar Pulse Is Sent – Ichisan
- Grand Ideas – Lindstrøm
- Iridium – Lullabies in the Dark
- The Escape – Woolfy vs. Projections
- Otaku – Popular Computer
- Boulderdash – Division by Zero
- Cedar (Yamwho? Remix) – Spektrum
- Goblin City (Holy Ghost! Extended Disco Dub Mix) – Panthers
- Pom Pom (The Juan Maclean Backup Vox Mix) – Matthew Dear
- Pluto’s Retreat (Optimus Remix) – Brennan Green
- Riot On Planet 10 (Blitz Gramsci Remix) – Strangelets
- Psychedelic Symmetry – Free Disco
- New Jersey Deep (Swag Edit) – Black Science Orchestra
- I’m Ready – Kano
- Pendulo (Pete Herbert Edit) – Silver City
- Supernovac (Live At The Lanchonete Version) – I:Cube
- Resist – Plastique De Rêve feat. Radical Cheerleaders