Every new Cosmix is an intense labour of love, and this one was even more so.
Well, since volume 9—almost 2 years have gone by! —, I have been distraught by the fact that the genre represented in this series of mix has kind of withered. . .
The Nu Disco label has become a kind of fad, shall we say for lack of a better term, and in doing so, the forebears of the genre have become more quiet, distracted or otherwise absent, while the hangers-on and wannabes took centre stage. . .
Now, I’m not criticizing, I’m merely explaining why I found this iteration slightly harder to give birth to.
I must admit I almost struggled to find tracks that would fit in a new Cosmix, and even though I am extremely proud of the final result, it is obvious even to the least attentive listener that this mix is a lot more house and tech than it is disco, although the filiation is never far.
Am I forecasting the end of the series?
That would be akin to forecasting the end of music. . .
But the future will be a continuum of the past and I doubt there can be more than one additional iteration in this series, if at all. .
You can stream or download it here and and your donations are welcome to help me pay for the file hosting!
Monsieur Seb Presents Cosmix 10: Atom & Eve
- Tender Love – Layo & Bushwacka
- Les Mondes Engloutis (Psychemagik 5am Mix) – Alico Vs. Cagri
- Switch – Tomson & Benedict
- Faux De Baux – Real Connoisseur
- Saturday Morning (Ruben & Ra’s Cosmic Jam) – Ajello
- The Blue Train (Dicky Trisco Mix) – Drop Out Orchestra
- Circle – Mad:Am
- Pieces (Panorama Mix) – Flashmob Feat . Laila Walker
- Eternity – Roberto Rodriguez
- In The Morning – Wolf + Lamb
- Sweet Talk (Urulu Works For Me Dub) – Jessie Ware
- The Traveller – Manuel Tur
- Systemwide – Christian Smith
- Mungolian Jetset Presents Knights Of Jumungus: The Dark Incal – Mungolian Jetset
- Castle (Fran Von Vie Remix) – Stas Karpenkov
- Karoo – Larse
- All I See Is You (Miguel Graca Remix) – Lemi Featuring James Reid With Natasha Flame
- Mon Duul – Cerebro
- Earth – Nu
- Are You Sure Joe (Neil Quigley’s Journey To Metaluna) – Cine City
- Brothers On The Slide (Jimpster Remix) – Patchworks Ginger Xpress
- Mark My Words (Monkey Boots/Disco Edits Re-Edit) – Shallow Taxi Club
- Eg-Ged-Osis (Todd Terje Extended Edit) – Lindstrom
- The Church of Moroder – Chardonnay
- Lipps (Inland Knights Kiss It Remix) – Inland Knights/Gil Tamazyan
- Silver Tears (Space Ranger Remix) – Ajello
- Love Somebosdy Else (Feat. Joi Cardwell) – Maceo Plex & Jon Dasilva
- How Do You Do? (Todd Terje Remix) – Hot Chip
- Gun Shy (Lindstrøm Remix) – Grizzly Bear
- Journey To The Sun (Milton Jackson Club Mix) – The Sunburst Band
- Dance Like Nobody’s Watching – Roberto Rodriguez
- Sunset (Lpz Remix) – Compuphonic
- Faar-I-Kaal – Lindstrøm
- Mungolian Jetset Presents Jaga Jazzist Vs Knights Of Jumungus: Toccata – Mungolian Jetset
Here it is, Cosmonauts and Cosmonettes: the new Cosmix is about to hit your ears and endorphin production centers!
Several weeks in the making, this iteration of the series is a proud successor to its predecessors inasmuch as it doesn’t much sound like any of them! 🙂
Its 29 tracks range from 115 to 124 beats per minute and from pure disco to so called slo-mo house and deep house with a splash of italo-feeling groove and even an ambiant conclusion that I litterally decided on seconds before the track began. The mix was initially supposed to end with Carl Craig’s remix of Tiga’s track, but for reasons which belong to creators and artists, I just had to throw in Arp’s amazing tribute to krautrock as a coda to this mix.
Despite the high track count, it is a relatively short affair compared to previous iterations in the series. What that means is simple: unmixed, all the tracks on Cosmix 8 total 3,7 hours of music. Mixed (if one excludes the last track that’s not really “mixed” per se), you get 2 hours and 30 minutes. So more that an hour of that tracklist happens while two tracks are playing at the same time… Yeah, I like long haul mixes, a luxury afforded by new technological tools like Mixed in Key and pitch lock.
In any case, enough geek-talk! Enjoy!
You can stream or download it here and your donations are welcome to help me pay for the file hosting!
P.S.: In case you haven’t checked it out yet, don’t forget to give a glance at Cosmix 7.5, which was an exclusive podcast for my friend Mike’s label CCCLTD and kind of a sneak peek at Cosmix 8.
Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix 8: In Space, Everyone Can See You Boogie
- La Ninya (Afrodub Version) – John Talabot
- Whispering Twirl – Tornado Wallace
- Costa Verde – Space Ranger
- Superstring – Space Ranger
- Le Troublant Acid – KZA
- Matilda’s Dream – John Talabot
- Freekend feat. Danielle Moore (Anthony Mansfield & Nick Chacona Dub) – Hot Toddy
- Wake Up – The Glimmers
- Naked (Kink Mix) – Sleazy McQueen
- Hot Pepper Sauce – Stopmakingme
- Superbacon – Kasper Bjørke & Tom Barford
- I Know You’re Mine – Roberto Rodriguez (Manolo)
- The Jammer – Chamboche
- Cosmic Radiation – Dionigi
- Pushin’ – Toomy Disco
- Shave Me, I’m Famous (Instrumental) – Space Ranger
- 60 Minutes – Dionigi
- Distant Shores – Petar Dundov
- Mitch (Emperor Machine Long Version) – Acidkids
- No Brain (Serge Santiago Remix) – Étienne De Crécy
- Will I (Instrumental) – Sportlotto
- Moody Bang (Tensnake Remix) – Ajello
- Soul Train – The Glimmers
- Subgreen (Arto Mwambe’s Saap-Green Mix) – Extraproduktionen
- Eleven Dimensions – Dionigi
- Megalopolis (Beatfanatic Remix) – Cloned In Vatican
- All Night – Oliver
- Love Don’t Dance Here Anymore (Carl Craig Remix 2) – Tiga
- Pastoral Symphony: I. Dominoes — II. Infinity Room – Arp
Because you made it all the way down here, you deserve a little treat: Cosmix 8: Deleted Scenes, a minimix of songs I wanted to use but didn’t in the final version!
After recording volume one, the urge to make a second iteration of the Cosmix Series (it was clear to me that this was going to be a series) rapidly became intense and Second Orbit was born a mere 6 months after its predecessor.
I find that this mix is more refined and focused, compared to the previous one, but that’s explained by the fact that I was still discovering and exploring the limits of the genre, six months earlier.
Here’ I’ve started to define what my Sound is going to be within this genre, as well as exploring and paying hommage to the roots, as witnessed by the inclusion of tracks by Kano and Alan Hackshaw.
As usual, you can stream or download it here. As always, your donations are welcome to help me pay for the file hosting!
Monsieur Seb’s Cosmix, 2nd Orbit — Recorded Live June 14-15th 2008
- Grn Aventurine – Château Flight
- Suoivegan Mamadoo – Mari Boine vs. Mungolian Jetset
- Love Love Love (Aeroplane Mix) – Low Motion Disco
- Eurora (Blackbelt Andersen Remix) – Fjordfunk
- In The Silver White Box – In Flagranti
- Start Something – Morten Sorensen
- Elektric Evening – Elitechnique
- Stellar Way – Acos CoolKAs
- Some Signs Are Good – Diskjokke
- Meridian (Amberflame Edit) – Acos CoolKAs
- Breakdown – Toby Tobias
- Time To Let Go (Lindstrøm Remix) – Sally Shapiro
- Fox In The Box (Telespazio Remix) – UND
- Crush the Liberation – The Juan Maclean
- Boston Food Strangler (Diskjokke Re-Mix) – Ost & Kjex
- After Midnight (Original 12” version) – Ilija Rudman
- Tito’s Way (Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas Remix) – The Juan Maclean
- See And Know – Amberflame
- Step In (Faze Action Remix) – Roland Schwarz
- It’s A War (Serge Santiago Uk Re-Edit) – Kano
- Global Pillage – Ichisan
- Over The Sky (Reverso 68 Remix) – Ajello
- Happy House (Prince Language Dub) – The Juan Maclean
- The Speed Of Sound – Alan Hawkshaw