I’ve been meaning to do such a mix for many, many years now, and here it is, finally.
“It” is a mix of some of my favourite tracks — a very personal and by no means encyclopedic selection — from the mythical mancunian Deep House record label, Paper Recordings, my all-time favouritest record label, even today.
Now, I entitled this post “…part one” because while I was preparing this mix, I realized that although we mostly remember the Paper catalog because of its classic dancefloor burners, there’s just as much great downtempo tracks to be remembered and, because of this fact, I decided to record two mixes, the first of which I offer to you here.
Rest assured: you won’t have to wait years for the downtempo installment! (July 2022 update: turns out you might need to wait decades!)
I truly hope you will enjoy this, because all these tracks have a special meaning to me and, if you didn’t know of Paper Recordings, I hope you will enjoy discovering this truly amazing record label.
P.S.: I would like to dedicate this mix to my dear friends Anne-Caroline, Nicolas and Karim, because of all the people I think of fondly when I hear these songs, these three are the ones I associate the most with my love of Paper Recordings.
You can stream download here and your donations are welcome to help me pay for the file hosting!
A Tribute to Paper Recordings, part one
- There’s A Better Place – Crazy Penis (PAPCD016)
- Viva Blue (Martin Venetjoki’s De-Pressed & remastered mix) – Keyboy (PAPD02)
- Finbiff Patrol – Those Norwegians (PAP011)
- Origami – Wastepaper (PAP004)
- The Dancer – New Phunk Theory (PAP006)
- Do Un Goodur’ (Tom Middleton’s Cosmos Mix) – Crazy Penis (PAP044)
- The Way We Swing – Crazy Penis (PAP013)
- The Book (Hardback Dub) – Salt City Orchestra (PAP001)
- Downtime – Paper Music (PAP002)
- I Feel Music – Harlem Zip Code (PAP072)
- Bustabubble – Shaboom (PAP005)
- Honey Falls – New Phunk Theory (PAP021)
- Don’t Fuck with My Shit (Da Floor Mix) – Dirty Jesus (PAP014)
- Bessie’s Kurbdog Remix / Bessie’s Reprise – Shaboom (PAP012)
- Lara’s Theme – Streetlife Originals (PAP022)
- Nu Odyssey – Departure Lounge (PAP017)
- Fatdansrubadub – Salt City Orchestra (PAP015)
- Theme From Salt City Orchestra – Salt City Orchestra (PAP015)
- The Big Thang – Hot Toddy (PAPCD008)
One thought on “A Tribute to Paper Recordings, part one”
wicked stuff……….great label……….bustabubble and shaboom absolute belters