Lately I’ve been going through every post in the DJ Mixes category to fix the download (and streaming, if necessary) links in an effort to ensure that everything is available easily and also to be as complete as I can about my output over the years. With this in mind, I created this post to take a census of all the mixes I recorded for my friend, the late Phil Larochelle’s Radio_Annexia channel on Mixcloud. Here they are in chronological order from 2010 to 2018.This show, which was reposted on July 29th, 2022, is currently 18th in the global Dark Ambient chart. This show was 26th in the global ambient chart. This show was 62nd in the global ambient chart. This show was 7th in the global experimental chart, 13th in the global eclectic chart, 27th in the global ambient chart and 34th in the global electronica chart. This show – an homage to my friend Jean-Seb Roux’s music under various aliases – was 8th in the global dub techno chart, 11th in the global minimal techno chart and 46th in the global ambient chart.
Tag Archives: badbadnotgood
Loungin’ with Monsieur Seb Volume Thirteen
So… It had been a quite a while since I recorded a mix, in part by lack of time and inspiration – although I did start working on an Acid House mix last summer, which is still in the plans – and in part because I upgraded my computer and, unbeknownst to me, rendered my old Traktor Kontrol S4 obsolete because it was no longer compatible with the Mac OS version of the new computer. Enter, a few months later (now), the brand new Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3, and a new iteration of the Loungin’ series which I’d been working on in parallel with the other one.
It is, as far as I can tell, the longest one so far at just shy of 2 hours and 30 minutes and, I must say, definitely my favourite. It’s got funk, boogie, hip-hop, jazz, dub, pop, but, mostly, two exclusive tracks from the upcoming Bran Van 3000 album (no release date yet) graciously offered by BV3K collaborator/studio engineer/producer and my friend Jean-Michel Lapointe. Thanks man!
Also of note in this mix is the fact that I’ve featured at least 11 tracks by local artists, which is relatively rare, including one in French, also relatively rare, by Les Louanges, and the aforementioned Bran Van 3000, Megative (who are kinda local, see below) Men I Trust, The Kount, and High Klassified. They are, to me, exquisite examples of the fact that Québec isn’t just about “la chanson” in it’s most boring expression. Apart from our thriving hip-hop scene, we also produce excellent world-class pop that manages to be accessible without being cheesy – or “quétaine” as we say.
There are a couple of cover versions that I’m really fond of: a new version of Georges Kranz‘s Din Daa Daa (Trommeltanz) (track 3 on the mix, called Drum Jawn, by Underdog Edits), and a version of The The‘s Giant by DJ Food with Matt “The The” Johnson himself on vocals (the closing track of this mix).
You’ll also hear two tracks by one of my favouritest new band, Megative, a new project featuring Me Mom & Morgentaler’s Gus Van Go and The Stills’ Tim Fletcher. They do ska that will be right up the alley of anyone who was ever been a fan of The Specials and the whole 2nd Generation of ska circa Two Tone Records. I’ve included Beneath the Sun and More Time, but I warmly encourage you to check out the whole album, because it’s really worth it.
And what about that first track, the return in full form of none other than Chaka Khan after an absence of more than 10 years!
I’d be remiss if I also didn’t mention the presence of an old gem that my friend Jimmy Beaulieu reminded me of this week in one of his own mixes for Radio Annexia, and I’m talking about Thomas Dolby‘s Budapest by Blimp. I did ask Jimmy if it was OK to use it on this mix just a few days after his own came out, and he graciously (as is his custom) said that it was fine because such a great song deserves to be widely known. It is indeed one of Dolby’s masterpieces and probably not one of his best known songs. I hadn’t heard it probably since it came out in 1988, and one of the main reasons for that is that I wasn’t equipped to fully appreciate such finely crafted pop music back then, just being out of my teens and too involved in the underground scene to admit some pop might even be (gasp!) good…
I also want to point out the presence of a magnificent new release by Donny McCaslin who, for those who don’t know, was the bandleader responsible for the music behind David Bowie‘s final album, Blackstar. Nothing to add there; just listen.
You can download the mix here.
- Like Sugar (Extended Mix) _ Chaka Khan
- Neptune Games _ Bybo Funk
- Drum Jawn _ Underdog Edits
- Beneath The Sun _ Megative
- Ascension Thyme _ Bran Van 3000
- Solid _ Another Channel
- Silver Light feat. Jinadu _ Fred Everything
- Xingu _ Al Dobson Jr.
- Amethyst feat. Nubya Garcia _ Harvey Sutherland
- Dirty High _ String Theory
- Beat 54 (All Good Now) _ Jungle
- Pitou _ Les Louanges
- Tadow _ FKJ
- Out In Myself featt. Emmanuelle _ Men I Trust
- Feels Like Summer _ Childish Gambino
- L’Oeillet Noir _ Antoine Korgut
- Space Is The Place _ Men I Trust
- Fifth Wind _ Jex Opolis
- Futureland _ The Kount
- Exist _ Promnite
- On Your Side _ Fitzzgerald
- Bar Asfalt _ Bugge Wesseltoft & Prins Thomas
- Born In A Rolling Barrel _ Will Saul Presents CLOSE feat. Tikiman, October & Appleblim
- Girls _ Bran Van 3000
- More Time _ Megative
- Close (Midnight Version Monsieur Seb Edit) _ Roosevelt
- Come Over feat. Leaf _ High Klassified
- Curious Fish feat. Emmanuelle _ Men I Trust
- Tried _ BADBADNOTGOOD & Little Dragon
- Eye of the Beholder _ Donny McCaslin
- Budapest By Blimp _ Thomas Dolby
- Giant feat. Matt Johnson _ DJ Food
Loungin’ with Monsieur Seb Vol. 8: The Many Shades of Jazz
Volume 8, and maybe the best so far, of my “Loungin’ with…” series. I love it, hope you do too!
Dirtee Groove _ Ripperton presents Headless Ghost
KDIM (Max Graef Remix) _ Glenn Astro & IMYRMIND
Space Loop _ Tissu
Back To Brukka _ Henry Wu
Phase Out _ Shit Robot
Electric Garden (Deep Jazz in the Garden Mix) _ Juan Atkins & Moritz Von Oswald
Isabelle _ Kamasi Washington
Diamonds (Prod. by Royal) _ Ace Cosgrove
Lavender (feat. Kaytranada) _ BADBADNOTGOOD
WEIGHT OFF (feat. BADBADNOTGOOD) _ Kaytranada
Girl (feat. Kaytranada) _ The Internet
A Tribe Called West _ Terrace Martin
No Reservations _ Oddisee
Bullets (feat. Little Dragon) _ Kaytranada
Bergschrund (feat. Nils Frahm) _ DJ Shadow
Omega Falls _ Seapoint
Summer (Prod. by The Kount) _ Innanet James
Première neige (Boogat Remix) _ Robert Charlebois
Row Land _ Seapoint
Do The Damn Thing (ft. Snoop Dogg, George Clinton & Nipsey Hussle) (Ralph Myerz Melodramatic Remix) _ Da YoungFellaz
Castles In The Sky _ Luvless
On My Own (dub version) _ ZERO 7
Yes, a new iteration in the Loungin’ series, and frankly, it’s due in large part to the fact that I’ve been using Bandcamp more and more lately and making amazing discoveries or rediscoveries — ie catalogs of artists I know but was unaware of. A downloadable mp3 file is available on request.
- never forget _ signals
- CS90 _ badbadnotgood
- lift music _ submotion orchestra
- i am a series of strange loops _ hungry ghost
- 16823 extended version _ mushrooms project
- deviant device _ the juan maclean
- undergrass _ mushrooms project
- crystal mountain thunderlude _ 40 thieves
- gin nation _ tiger & woods
- leaving this planet featuring sharlene hector _ mark de clive-lowe
- dix vertes cosmodelica remix _ cantoma
- perfumed garden atjazz instrumental _ the rah band
- ray gun featuring doom _ ghostface killah & badbadnotgood
- hangover _ moodyman featuring charlotte oc
- desperado dining _ len leise
- bermuda _ harvey sutherland
- dreams on kepler _ andy hart
- don’t you soa hurtful variant _ pascale project