…the new edition of my Summer Breeze series is out!
When I started working on this one, I wasn’t sure what it was going to be — a Cosmix, a Loungin’ with Monsieur Seb, a House Music for Grown-Ups or a Summer Breeze…
After much tergiversation, the first mix was found and those first two tracks (actually track 2 and 3 on the mix, a third one was tagged in front later in the creation) clearly pointed towards a Summer Breeze iteration and, after recording it, I felt it was kind of a Cosmix Summer, but let’s not overcomplicate things! 🙂
True to its mission, it’s unpretentious, fun music for lounging in the sun, by the pool, drink in hand — except maybe for a slightly darker bit about three quarters into the mix (that cryptic track titled Edit Service #42 based on a Joy Division sample).
But fear not, the mix ends on a very joyous and light note with a song based around my all-time favourite songwriter, musician and arranger, Donald Fagen — the original being I.G.Y., from his 1982 solo album The Nightfly (which, incidentally, is the subtitle of Vol. 5 of my Loungin’ series and features the title track from that album).
Steely Dan/Donald Fagen are not often sampled and Lovebirds does it magnificently well!
On a spur of the moment, I even decided to mix in the original track for an even breezier, yacht rock feel; the perfect end to a great summer mix.
Here, then, for your summer enjoyment, is the fifth edition of Summer Breeze! Feel free to make a donation to cover file hosting!
- XTC — DJ Koze
- Shangri-La (Psychemagik Remix) — Yacht
- Oban (Todd Terje Remix) — Jaga Jazzist
- Bostitch (Fred Everything Version 1) — Yello
- Loose Booty — Crispin J. Glover
- Cherry — Tim Green
- Just — Bicep
- Sunny Bigler — Leon Sweet
- Celebre (The Revenge Mix) — Harry Wolfman & Skinny Love
- Hello Space! — Ralph Myerz & The Kosmik Diamondz
- Do That Dance feat. Nancy Whang (Konstantin Sibold Remix) — Shit Robot
- Acid 4 Eddie — Ralph Myerz & The Kosmik Diamondz
- Freaks (Ivan Smagghe Version) — Richard Norris
- I’m a Cliché Edit Service #42 — Michele Mininni
- Down — Tuxxedo
- Egoista — Marvin & Guy
- Traffic — Djedjotronic
- Free (Lovebirds Beautiful Rework) — Razor n’ Tape
- I.G.Y. (International Geophysical Year) — Donald Fagen