So, I couldn’t sleep last night, decided to work on the new chapter of the Loungin’ series, but at some point got fed up of overthinking it, so I just hit record after deciding on what the first track would be, but no idea of where I would go from there. Recorded in one take. I like it a lot. Hope you do too!
As is often the case when I’m gripped by the muses of inspiration, this mix was put together in a few hours, barely double its actual length.
It starts off quite energetic and mellows slowly — although the tempo doesn’t slow — to a nice sexy vibe over a period of approximately 100 minutes. I guess you could say SBXV is the afternoon set and this the evening set of your perfect summertime Saturday!
Zip download or
- Descenders of the Faith _ Reed & Radley
- Silvery Sounds (with e-piano) _ The Sound of K
- Headstones _ Reed & Radley
- Think Twice feat Alexander East (Fred Everything Lazy Vox Remix) _ Yousef
- 90s Girls _ Sui Generis
- Fields of May _ Reed & Radley
- How Does It Feel (Richard Seaborne mix) _ Proviant Audio
- You Don’t Have To _ Clip!
- The Pap (Ralf Gum Main Mix) _ Ralf Gum & Monique Bingham
- Birkelunden (Ravi’s Løkkatrøkka Birkebanger) _ Diskobeistet
- I’m Losing Control (Maus Remix) _ LeBaron
- Wuehlmaus _ DJ Aroma
- Superstitious (Djedjotronic Remix) _ M.A.N.D.Y.
- I Human feat Paul Randolph (Fred Everything Expression) _ Jazzanova
- Smile _ Jay Nemor & De Fantastiske To
- Intuition _ Roberto Rodriguez (Manolo)
- Gammal Morro _ Diskobeistet
- Do It (Part Two) (Mindlo & Essential i Remix) _ Shake The Dog feat. Monique Bingham
- Lesexe _ LeSale
…the new edition of my Summer Breeze series is out!
After much tergiversation, the first mix was found and those first two tracks (actually track 2 and 3 on the mix, a third one was tagged in front later in the creation) clearly pointed towards a Summer Breeze iteration and, after recording it, I felt it was kind of a Cosmix Summer, but let’s not overcomplicate things! 🙂
True to its mission, it’s unpretentious, fun music for lounging in the sun, by the pool, drink in hand — except maybe for a slightly darker bit about three quarters into the mix (that cryptic track titled Edit Service #42 based on a Joy Division sample).
But fear not, the mix ends on a very joyous and light note with a song based around my all-time favourite songwriter, musician and arranger, Donald Fagen — the original being I.G.Y., from his 1982 solo album The Nightfly (which, incidentally, is the subtitle of Vol. 5 of my Loungin’ series and features the title track from that album).
Steely Dan/Donald Fagen are not often sampled and Lovebirds does it magnificently well!
On a spur of the moment, I even decided to mix in the original track for an even breezier, yacht rock feel; the perfect end to a great summer mix.
Here, then, for your summer enjoyment, is the fifth edition of Summer Breeze!
Zip file or
- XTC — DJ Koze
- Shangri-La (Psychemagik Remix) — Yacht
- Oban (Todd Terje Remix) — Jaga Jazzist
- Bostitch (Fred Everything Version 1) — Yello
- Loose Booty — Crispin J. Glover
- Cherry — Tim Green
- Just — Bicep
- Sunny Bigler — Leon Sweet
- Celebre (The Revenge Mix) — Harry Wolfman & Skinny Love
- Hello Space! — Ralph Myerz & The Kosmik Diamondz
- Do That Dance feat. Nancy Whang (Konstantin Sibold Remix) — Shit Robot
- Acid 4 Eddie — Ralph Myerz & The Kosmik Diamondz
- Freaks (Ivan Smagghe Version) — Richard Norris
- I’m a Cliché Edit Service #42 — Michele Mininni
- Down — Tuxxedo
- Egoista — Marvin & Guy
- Traffic — Djedjotronic
- Free (Lovebirds Beautiful Rework) — Razor n’ Tape
- I.G.Y. (International Geophysical Year) — Donald Fagen
Here, for your listening enjoyment, is the 39th report on Radio Annexia, a mix I made as an hommage to the work of Jean-Seb Roux.
- white jazz _ tlon
- clandestine _ tlon
- close distance _ tlon
- jt.jy.31 _ tlon
- fr.fy.28 _ tlon
- about us _ tlon
- in the shadow of unexpectation _ tlon
- heart is where we get hurt _ deluge
- la esperanza _ deluge
- may we be us _ tlon
- the crush _ deluge
- after the flood _ deluge
- al_al.30 _ tlon
- departure _ deluge
- se.sr.30 _ tlon
- éclipse _ rouj
- metapop [tlon remake] _ deluge
- matar mi corazon _ rouj
- veryultra _ deluge
- song from the highest tower _ deluge
- farewell _ tlon
Another quick mix from out of nowhere!
Well, not entirely out of nowhere.
See, I am on the promo list of a few labels, including this label, Andante Music, out of Ukraine.
Yesterday I received a new promo from them which quite caught my ear — Ceo Basso‘s People In The Hop EP — and while adding that release to the rest of the label’s 10 releases so far, I realized their output was quite interesting when taken as whole: I guess you call that good artistic direction.
In any case, I thought I’d give a go at making a mix featuring only releases from the label, figuring it certainly can’t hurt a small start-up label from Ukraine to get a little more exposure here!
So here’s the result. You’ll notice there aren’t that many different artists, but all of the label’s artists (so far) are represented except one, which I felt didn’t quite fit with the overall mood of the mix.
As for Ceo Basso, who figures prominently on the mix, he’s definitely the most accomplished of the lot and although information about him or that label is hard to come by, my hunch is he’s the guy behind the label.
So here goes, friends, discover the sound of Ukraine, Deep House on the minimal tip, but never cold!
- kick it – ceo basso
- feeling deep – cheise
- i don’t know – ceo basso
- what is – cheise
- vertical horizon – andrey djackonda
- aljarafe – cesar martinez
- type – viktor novak
- mavericks – lifer
- liendres – cesar martinez
- people in the hop (wyro remix) – ceo basso
- people in the hop – ceo basso
- monochrome – ceo basso
- clio – viktor novak
- koa – andrey djackonda
- philosophy of house – caval
- aljarafe (sonartek/andrea londi remix) – cesar martinez
- 659 – e.m.m.e.
- dreams – andrey djackonda
I love it when that happens!
The story goes like this:
I wrote an article about Bran Van 3000 for a website I collaborate with, and in the process discovered that they had a release I was unaware of, some my buddy’s Fred Everything‘s remixes of a track off of their last album, 2010’s The Garden.
I have no clue as to how I managed to not be aware of that release since Fred is a friend and I’m the #1 Bran Van fan!
In any case, I fell in love with the main remix and, by it’s very structure, it became clear it had to be the closer of a new mix it inspired me to record.
Normally, I will make a selection of tracks I’m feeling at the moment, settle on the opener and work from there.
In this case, then, I had a closer, so I worked my way backwards until I felt I had a good opener that would build up to the closer I had chosen. Intellectually, it was a fun process and I’m utterly pleased with the result!
I give you Endless Summer (I Love You Jack).
Now, some of you may or may not know it, but Jack is my son who I only get to see every other weekend, except in the summer, and this summer I got to see a lot of him, but summer is (almost) over and I will see less of him until at least the end of October, and all I could think of while recording this mix was him, hence the tagline…
Enjoy, my lovelies!
- whatever you need _ moon boots (2014)
- scary people [mekanism remix] _ hollis p. monroe, nhan solo, overnite (2014)
- too late _ dead rose music company, satin jackets (2012)
- jazz dialect _ tom taylor (2012)
- submarine bells _ prommer & barck (2011)
- face full of fur _ 40 thieves (2014)
- on the inside [the revenge memory warehouse mix] _ deep space orchestra (2011)
- potrero _ fred everything (2013)
- tell you _ nahn solo (2014)
- houston we have a problem _ genius of time (2013)
- your attention _ kit mason (2014)
- the confuser 11a kit mason (2014)
- equinox [henrick schwarz mix] _ code 718 (2009)
- monodynamic _ space dimension controller (2014)
- turn around [âme remix] _ sailor & i (2014)
- arms around [c2 affected mix] _ la fleur (2014)
- motion in my mind [darko kustura remix] _ shyam (2013)
- motion _ nachomarco (2012)
- bing [acid mondays remix] _ wolfgang haffner (2014)
- to be [pezzner remix] _ robert owens, andi rivera (2014)
- it is what it is _ echonomist (2013)
- lesexe _ lesale (2013)
- la dolce vita [fred everything main mix] _ bran van 3000 (2011)
Il y a déjà 10 ans que Richie Hawtin n’avait rien publié sous son célébrissime pseudonyme Plastikman, alors rien de surprenant à ce que la planète Techno soit en émoi devant la parution d’un nouvel album plutôt inattendu — on l’a annoncé seulement une semaine avant son lancement — et capté en direct lors de deux performances au Guggenheim Museum, en novembre 2013, date qui, incidemment, correspondait presque jour pour jour avec le lancement du tout premier album de Plastikman, Sheet One, vingt ans auparavant.
Avec le recul, on peut établir qu’il y a deux périodes distinctes dans l’oeuvre de Hawtin/Plastikman, la première plus Techno et orientée sur les pistes de danse (Sheet One, Musik, Recycled Plastik), et la seconde plus planante et cérébrale (Consumed, Closer), tandis que son album Artifakts [bc] était une oeuvre transitoire qui avait un pied dans la première période et un autre dans la seconde.
It’s that time of the year again: the release of my annual Summer Breeze mix!
Now, usually, it’s a very airy-breezy affair, but this year I was invited to play at the monthly event Echo Space at Bar La Caverne, in Montréal, and I decided to combine the two.
The result is that this year’s Summer Breeze is a little darker at times, but night time dark, not depressing dark, fear not!
Also, I’m trying out Beatport’s Sell Your Mix feature. It costs $9.99 (I don’t have a say on the price it goes for), and I get 10% (99¢) for each sale. We’ll see how it goes…
Just so you know, you have to buy all the tracks in your mix if you want to sell it on Beatport, so calculating an average of $2 per track, I need to sell about 52 copies of my mix to break even… 🙂
Thank you for encouraging a struggling old DJ like me! 😉
Here’s the playlist, even tough you’ll also see it on Beatport:
Title _ Mix — Artist [Label, Year]
- 2GTHR — Origins Sound [Roush, 2014]
- Freak Club — Flash Atkins & Little Lost Boy [Paper Recordings, 2012]
- Seven Reasons _ Roberto Rodriguez Piano Dub — Scope feat. Terry Grant [Large Music, 2012]
- The Right Key — Nacho Marco [Lazy Days Music, 2012]
- Fountain _ Orelse Mix — Quantum Shift [Green Mono Music, 2014]
- I Don’t Mind — Pezzner [Systematic Records, 2013]
- Your Girl — Evil Nine [For Lovers, 2014]
- Saved Forever _ C2 Mix — Terrence Parker [Planet E Communications, 2014]
- The Back 9 — Terrence Parker [Planet E Communications, 2014]
- My Melody feat. Shawnee Taylor _ Morillo & Romero Dirty Mix — Erick Morillo, Jose Nunez, Harry Romero [Subliminal Records, 2013]
- Soul Power — Space Echo [Luv Shack Records, 2013]
- Fable _ Director’s Cut Classic Club Mix — Lil’ Louis [Nocturnal Groove, 2012]
- Freak Like Me feat. Bunny Sigler _ DJ Dan Mix — Prince Dred & Bunny Sigler [Guesthouse Music, 2014]
- Like an Eagle _ Extended Version — Audiojack & Nancy Whang [Gomma, 2014]
- On The Highway _ Pezzner 2013 Remix — Brett Johnson & Dave Barker [Lazy Days Music, 2013]
- TB Continued — Hardfloor [www.hardfloor.de, 2014]
- Tripi feat. Manfred Mann’s Earth Band — Sharam & Manfred Mann’s Earth Band [Play It Say It, 2014]
- Pepis — Funk D’Void [Soma, 2014]
- Apollo 303 — 2 Billion Beats [Paper Recordings, 2014]
- Spiral — Todd Terje [Olsen Records, 2013]
- This Feeling — Lovebirds [OM Records, 2009]
- Noise In Your Eye — 2 Billion Beats [Paper Recordings, 2014]
- Get Involved _ Director’s Cut & Eric Kupper — DBow [Beatdown, 2013]
- Midnight _ Nacho Marco 303 Dub — Jamc Groove [Muak Music, 2012]
- Sway — Pezzner [Systematic Records, 2013]
- One Kiss _ Father’s of Sound Mix One — Pacha [Flying International, 1993]
Part two of my Eno retrospective for Radio Annexia. I had to take small liberties with the chronological order so that things flowed better. Hope you enjoy!
- Vocal Outtakes – Brian Eno & David Byrne – My Life in the Bush of Ghosts – 1981
- Third Uncle – Brian Eno – Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) – 1974
- Here Come the Warm Jets – Brian Eno – Here Come the Warm Jets – 1974
- The Heavenly Music Corporation – Brian Eno & Robert Fripp – No Pussyfooting – 1973
- Wind on Water – Brian Eno & Robert Fripp – Evening Star – 1975
- French Catalogues (Variation on the ‘Canon In D Major’ By Johann Pachelbel) – Brian Eno – Discreet Music – 1975
- Two Rapid Formations – Brian Eno – Music For Films – 1978
- In Dark Trees – Brian Eno – Another Green World – 1975
- Luneburg Heath – Harmonia 76 – Tracks & Traces – 1976
- Für Luise – Cluster & Brian Eno – Cluster & Eno – 1977
- 2/2 – Brian Eno – Ambient 1: Music for Airports – 1978
- The Dance #3 – Brian Eno & Laraaji – Ambient 3: Day Of Radiance – 1981
- Delta Rain Dream – Brian Eno & Jon Hassell – Fourth World, Vol. 1: Possible Musics – 1980
- An Arc Of Doves – Brian Eno & Harold Budd – Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror – 1980
- Tzima N’ark – Eno Moebius & Roedelius – After The Heat – 1978
- The Carrier – Brian Eno & David Byrne – My Life in the Bush of Ghosts – 1981
- Stars – Brian Eno – Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks – 1983
- Always Returning (II) – Brian Eno – More Music For Films – 1983
- Against the Sky – Brian Eno & Harold Budd – The Pearl – 1984
- Sirens – Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois – Music For Films III – 1988
- Dark Dreams – Brian Eno – Textures – 1989
First in a two-part mix series covering Brian Eno’s solo career to celebrate the launch of his new album in collaboration to Karl Hyde. This first part covers the 90s and 2000s in chronological order, one or more track per major release of his.
A more complete tracklist:
- Ring of Fire – Brian Eno – Promo 7” – 1990
- Everybody’s Mother/Step Up – Brian Eno – My Squelchy Life – 1991
- The Roil, The Choke – Brian Eno – Nerve Net – 1992
- Ikebukuro – Brian Eno – The Shutov Assembly – 1992
- Neroli – Brian Eno – Neroli (Thinking Music part IV) – 1993
- Garden Recalled – Brian Eno & Jah Wobble – Spinner – 1995
- Rothko Doric – Brian Eno – Generative Music I – 1996
- Track 03 – Brian Eno – Music For Glitterbug – 1996
- Back Clack – Brian Eno – The Drop – 1997
- Rising Dust – Brian Eno & J. Peter Schwalm – Drawn From Life – 2001
- Emphasizing Enharmonic Partials – Brian Eno – January 07003: Bell Studies For The Clock Of The Long Now – 2003
- Altair – Brian Eno & Robert Fripp – The Equatorial Stars – 2004
- Just Another Day – Brian Eno – Another day on earth – 2005
- I Feel My Stuff – David Byrne & Brian Eno – Everything That Happens Will Happen Today – 2008
- Needle Click – Brian Eno – Making Space – 2010
- Late Anthropocene – Brian Eno – Small Craft on a Milk Sea – 2010
- Lux 3 – Brian Eno – LUX – 2012
- The Real – Brian Eno – Drums Between The Bells – 2011
- Beebop Hurry – Karl Hyde & Brian Eno – A Collection – 2011
- Daddy’s Car – Brian Eno & Karl Hyde – Someday World – 2014